Mail detects when an iChat Buddy is online (see Chapter 7 regarding iChat and Buddies) and notifies you: a green dot next to a Buddy's message means she's available and you can send an Instant Message to her computer.
If you don't see the "Buddy Availability" column in your Viewer Window, go to the View menu, select "Columns," then choose "Buddy Availability."
If you see that a Buddy is online, you can open a chat with her directly.
To open a chat with a Buddy:
- Single-click an online Buddy's email message in the Viewer Window.
- Press Command Option I, or from the Message menu, choose "Reply with iChat," which will open an iChat window, as shown below, right.
- Double-click a Buddy's email message in the Viewer Window.
- Click the Reply button as if you were going to write a letter.
- Click the Chat icon (the blue speech balloon) in the toolbar to open an iChat message window.
Tollett/Williams, LITTLE MAC IAPPS BOOK, © 2003 John Tollett and Robin Williams. Reproduced by permission of Pearson Education, Inc. Publishing as Peachpit Press. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Click Here to buy this book at a 30% discount
Troubleshooting External Devices
Schedule Scripts and Apps with iCal
iTunes - Classic Visualizer Configurations